Digital Earth >
Current Version: 2.3
(2 Aug 2002)
The Tile Set Manager (TSM) Application Programming Interface (API) is
an Open Source library of high level C functions for reading, writing, and
processing the terrain data used by the TerraVision terrain
visualization application. The library acts as an abstraction layer
between the application program and the terrain data:
The terrain data consists of: a multi-resolution hierarchy of
elevation and image data (tile sets), tile set specification files
storing details about the tile sets (tspecs), and databases that collate
the names and locations of all the tile sets and tspecs (TSM databases).
The tsmApiTM offers the following
facilities and functions:
- Complete Data Interface: routines are provided to read and
write all of the terrain data for TerraVision.
- Data location independence: a single interface is used to
access data that could be stored on local disk over
- Generation of Data: tsmApiTM offers functions to process source elevation
and image files to produce the multi-resolution TerraVision tile
sets. Currently tsmApiTM supports
the following formats:
|| USGS DOQs, TIFF, GeoTIFF, JFIF/JPEG, GIF, PPM, PGM
|| USGS 7.5-minute DEMs, DTED Level 0, raw binary grids
- Logging: various statistics about tile reading and
writing can be generated using the NetLogger format, from LBNL. This
allows logging of events to a file, a port/host, or the syslog.
- GeoVRML Support: the tsmApiTM library includes a fully re-enterant
parser/writer for the VRML97 grammar. Functions are also provided to
generate GeoVRML 1.0 versions of TerraVision datasets.
- Coordinate Conversions: a few functions are available
to transform between various geographic coordinate systems, e.g.
Lat/Long, UTM, Geocentric.
- Portability: currently, tsmApiTM has been compiled under IRIX, Solaris, Linux
and OSF; and it should be possible to compile under other platforms
- Open Source: as of version 2.0, tsmApiTM is released into Open Source under the
Copyright ©2001 SRI International. All rights reserved.
For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: Friday, 02-Aug-2002 13:51:12 PDT.